The season is now over three weeks gone, and with that we’ve had enough time to look back and relive what was a championship season and one for the ages. Here are out top 10 moments of the season. Feel free to chime in with moments of your own:
1. Holmes’ TD to win Super Bowl XLIII – No brainer here. Holmes doesn’t make the unreal catch, and who knows how the title game ends up. Could go down as the biggest play in the history of the team when it’s all said and done.
2. Harrison’s 100-yard interception and TD on the last play of the half of Super Bowl XLIII – Maybe the biggest defensive play in the history of team, and one that changed the tempo and momentum of the title game. Harrison’s unreal run and leaping of Cardinals will be one to relive forever.
3. Polamalu’s Pick to seal the AFC title game vs the Ravens – Troy was on a mission as he raced towards the end zone with the team leading 16-14 with about 4 minutes left. It was such a big play for the team, as they were only up by two, and even the slightest let down could have cost the team their trip to Super Bowl XLIII.
4. Holmes’ toe tapping TD to clinch the AFC North and #2 seed – The Ravens cry about the call to this day, but make no mistake, when it came to big plays in 2008, Holmes was the guy to make them. The Steelers offense had not done much vs the Ravens in a hard fought battle, but the game-winning drive was enough to earn the win as well as the division and two seed.
5. Townsend’s pick and score vs the Cowboys for the win in week 14 – Many won’t remember how important the win vs the Cowboys was, but recall the team trailed 13-3 in the fourth quarter and then the team rallied for a field goal, touchdown and then the pick six as Tony Romo overthrew Jason Witten which landed right in the hands of Townsend sa he raced in for the score and the win.
6. Ward’s 8-yard TD from Ben w/ 1:53 left to clinch week 5 win over Jags – Again, a play that will largely go forgotten in a season of such big plays, but a big play to say the least. The Jags had the Steelers number in 2007, but Big Ben and the offense came to life on that Sunday night on the road, and trailing late the team came up with some big plays and Ward’s TD catch was the highlight of a huge win that set an early tone to the season.
7. Polamalu unreal pick off Rivers early in the 11-10 win over the Chargers – This play won an award on NFL Network for how unreal it was, and if you don’t remember it, look it up, as Polamalu made an outstanding play in which it looked as if there was no way he would come up with the pick, but basically with one finger was able to get the ball in his arms. A great play by a great player.
8. Woodley’s TD after Harrison’s hit on Flacco week four vs Ravens – The Steelers were down to the Ravens 13-3 in the third quarter of this early Monday night game, and after Big Ben hit Holmes for a TD to make it 13-10, James Harrison’s hit on the next play after the TD on Joe Flacco and Lamar Woodley’s pickup and run in of the score gave the Steelers a big 17-13 lead in the eventual OT 23-20 win.
9. Ben connects with Nate for a 50-yard TD in Cincy (24-10) to clinch the Week 7 win 38-10 – The Bengals were dead meat after this long catch by Nate Washington to seal the win in Cincy in mid-October. The offense had played around with the Bengals all day, but came through when they needed it, and Washington was there for a big catch in the big win.
10. Harrison strips Cassel at the 4:59 mark of the third quarter which leads to a FG in 33-10 win over Pats – Gotta give one more bit of love to the NFL Defensive Player of the Year, as he and the D dominated Matt Cassel and the Pats in the big win in Foxboro. Harrison had two strips in the game, but the first led to points that put the team ahead for good.