The Arena Football League could be returning to one of its charter cities. The Pittsburgh “Post-Gazette” reports that the league has been in talks with several potential ownership groups and owners about returning the sport to Pittsburgh once the new Downtown arena is built. The AFL is looking for a 20th franchise for the 2008 season, with Washington, DC and South Florida contending. Pittsburgh was one of four charter franchises when the AFL was formed in 1987 as the Pittsburgh Gladiators and hosted the first ever AFL game. The Gladiators re-located to Tampa, FL following the 1990 season and remain in operation as the Tampa Bay Storm.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Ravens QB Jackson Has Positive Test for Covid-19; Sunday’s Game Against Steelers in Serious Doubt on
- Ravens to Be Minus Two Key RB’s in Thursday’s Game Against Steelers on
- Could a Different Back be the Answer to the Struggling Steelers Run Game? on
- Steelers Lay an Old Fashioned Beat Down on Burrow and the Bengals in 36-10 Win to Move to 9-0 on
- The Debate on if the Steelers Should Sit Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday is Insane on