The Steelers will wrap up their first training camp under new head coach Mike Tomlin on Friday, and while a lot has been accolimpished, there is still plenty to do before the team takes the field for real on September 9th vs the Cleveland Browns at Cleveland Browns Stadium. “We’ve had some spirited practices, we’ve had some competitive practices this week,” said Tomlin. “These guys compete. You look back two days ago at those running backs vs. linebackers; defensive ends vs. tight ends going on; wideouts vs. DBs – no matter what situation we put these guys in, they respond and they compete with great passion. I like that about this football team.”
There has been plenty of battles in this long camp, with players like WR Walter Young, Center Marvin Phillip and RB Gary Russell making some heads turn and making it tough for Tomlin to hand them pink slips telling them they simply are not good enough. A lot of people have their own depth charts, and I am sure that many did not have Young, Phillip and Russell on them. Don’t foget that Bill Cowher made some surprising moves his first training camp on who he kept and who he let go (former first round pick Jamain Stephens comes to mind), so we’ll see if Tomlin shakes things up and keeps a few players that maybe a year ago would in no way have of made the roster.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Ravens QB Jackson Has Positive Test for Covid-19; Sunday’s Game Against Steelers in Serious Doubt on
- Ravens to Be Minus Two Key RB’s in Thursday’s Game Against Steelers on
- Could a Different Back be the Answer to the Struggling Steelers Run Game? on
- Steelers Lay an Old Fashioned Beat Down on Burrow and the Bengals in 36-10 Win to Move to 9-0 on
- The Debate on if the Steelers Should Sit Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday is Insane on