With Charlie Batch on the sidelines with a broken collarbone for four to six weeks, the team is working out former Jaguar and Falcon QB Byron Leftwich today. The 28-year-old former QB has been out of a job since the Falcons released him back in February. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says that the team may actually sign Leftwich if he does well in the workout. Byron had worked out recently with the Titans, and while coach Jeff Fisher said the QB had a good workout, the team said they would not be signing him.
Last season was a tough one for Leftwich, as the former number one pick of the Jags back in 2003 was released just before opening day. The Faclons picked him up, and in three games with the team he was not very good, throwing for just 279 yards and one TD and two interceptions with a QB rating of 59.5. In his five years in the NFL, he has thrown for 52 TD’s, 38 picks, and has a QB rating of 79.7
The Steelers will for sure sign a veteran backup, as without Batch the team is left with rookies Dennis Dixon and Mike Potts at the QB spot. Dixon played quite a bit after Batch went down in last night’s 16-10 win over the Eagles, and Potts did come in at the end of the game and threw a few times as the team was trying to extend the lead and then run out the clock.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Steelers Bring the Pain on Mayfield, Browns in 38-7 Win to Move to 5-0 on
- The Day After: Thoughts on the Steelers After Beating the Eagles, Moving on to the Browns on
- Claypool Chases Down History, Steelers Stay Perfect in 38-29 Win Over Eagles on
- Steelers Lower the Boom on Watson and the Texans, Move to 3-0 with 28-21 Win on
- Hodges Returns to the Steelers, Signs on for the Practice Squad on