There is plenty of blame to go around for yesterday’s 21-14 loss to the Giants. From an O-line that couldn’t pass block, to a defense that played well but gave up some big fourth quarter plays, there was just not enough to bail the Steelers out and walk away with their fourth straight win and a 6-1 record.
Looking back, there were two key plays that come to mind that in the end doomed this football team. Agree or not, these are the two plays that in my mind, changed that game and did in the team.
1. The Steelers are up 14-9, and have the ball at the Steelers 47 and are driving. On a 1st-and-10, they take a shot downfield and Ben Roethlisberger connects with Nate Washington on a perfect pass and catch that results in a 53-yard Steelers TD. However, the play comes back as Willie Colon is called for holding. Four plays later, the Steelers punt. Colon doesn’t hold, and it’s 21-9 and the Steelers likely ride to a win.
2. The other play that I thought turned the game was the muffed snap on the punt that tied the game. While by that point the Giants clearly had the momentum, the Steelers at least still had a lead then, and if Mitch Berger is able to at least get the ball to the 50, the Steelers have a shot with their defense to come out and make a play. Instead, the Greg Warren injury was huge, in that it made James Harrison fill in as the back-up long snapper, and the ball sailed over Berger’s head and out of the end zone for two points that tied the game at 14.
So while there were other plays that cost this team a victory, those two pop in my head as two key plays that in the end, allowed the G-Men to walk out of Hinez Field with a victory.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Ravens to Be Minus Two Key RB’s in Thursday’s Game Against Steelers on
- Could a Different Back be the Answer to the Struggling Steelers Run Game? on
- Steelers Lay an Old Fashioned Beat Down on Burrow and the Bengals in 36-10 Win to Move to 9-0 on
- The Debate on if the Steelers Should Sit Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday is Insane on
- Video – Steelers Defense Spooky Highlights: A Nightmare in Pittsburgh on