The Steelers today officially announced that QB Charlie Batch has been re-signed and is back with the team, but while they did that, they made somewhat of a surprise move, releasing running back Gary Russell. The bruiser also known as “The Muscle” scored a TD in the Super Bowl win over the Cardinals, and was a key part of kick returns late in the season.
The former undrafted free agent from the University of Minnesota played in 15 regular-season games and four playoff games for the Steelers. He rushed for 77 yards and three touchdowns on 28 carries in a 12 games last season. As a rookie, Russell rushed for 21 yards on seven carries.
The move was probably done knowing that last seasons first-round draft pick, Rashard Mendenhall, will be back 100 percent in 2008, and the team wants to give him every chance to get carries.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Ravens QB Jackson Has Positive Test for Covid-19; Sunday’s Game Against Steelers in Serious Doubt on
- Ravens to Be Minus Two Key RB’s in Thursday’s Game Against Steelers on
- Could a Different Back be the Answer to the Struggling Steelers Run Game? on
- Steelers Lay an Old Fashioned Beat Down on Burrow and the Bengals in 36-10 Win to Move to 9-0 on
- The Debate on if the Steelers Should Sit Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday is Insane on