Steelers president Art Rooney II did not commit to bringing back strong safety Troy Polamalu in 2015 even if the eight-time Pro Bowler wants to return, Scott Brown of ESPN.com reports.
Rooney has said he wants Polamalu to retire as a Steeler, but the safety is coming off a season in which he did not record a sack or intercept a pass for the first time since 2007.
Polamalu, who will turn 34 in April, has two years left on his contract. He said after Pittsburgh’s AFC wild-card loss to the Baltimore Ravens earlier this month that it is fair to question whether he has played his last game for the Steelers.
Polamalu and veterans such as outside linebacker James Harrison, defensive end Brett Keisel and cornerback Ike Taylor all face uncertain futures. Rooney said the team has not made any decision on the four, who were stalwarts on the teams that played in three Super Bowls from 2005 to 2010 and won two of them.
“We’ll be having conversations internally,” Rooney said Wednesday at Steelers headquarters. “We’ll have conversations with each of those players and others about what they want to do and whether they’ll fit into the plans for next year. There’s a lot of discussions to be had in terms of the next few weeks and months.”
Show Your Team Spirit
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Steelers Continues To Overhaul Receiving Corps With Johnny Holton Signing on
- Antonio Brown Thanks Fans in Pittsburgh by Buying Ads on Local Billboards on
- Former Steelers LB Joey Porter the Latest to Call Out Ben Roethlisberger on
- Video: ESPN’s ‘First Take’ Says Brown and Roethlisberger Need to Stop the Drama on
- Will The Playoffs Be Achievable For The Steelers This Season? on