The Steelers announced Saturday that wide receiver Markus Wheaton is out for Monday night’s season opener at the Redskins, Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.
Wheaton played in just one preseason game and did not practice this week until a limited appearance Saturday.
With no Wheaton behind No. 1 Antonio Brown, second-year players Sammie Coates and Eli Rogers — who between them have one regular-season NFL catch — are the top secondary options for Ben Roethlisberger. Veteran Darrius Heyward-Bey also is lifted into a more prominent role.
“We’re one of the rare (receiver) groups that everybody from AB down to the practice squad guys, we’re going to be coached up and work hard every single day because you never know when your number’s going to be called, and when you work with Ben you’ve always got to be ready to go,” Heyward-Bey said.
“Anybody can have a big game. We all know AB is going to have a big game; the rest of us just all have to come in when our number’s called.”
Also ruled out for Monday’s game were fullback Roosevelt Nix (back) and reserve interior lineman Cody Wallace (knee).
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- What’s the Status of the Steelers Receiving Core as Free Agency Closes In? on
- Steelers News, Updates, & Odds on
- Mike Tomlin Defends Rudolph, Blasts ESPN, Comments on AB on “First Take” on
- GM Kevin Colbert Says “All Signs Are Good” Regarding Ben Roethlisberger’s Injured Elbow on
- Could TE Vance McDonald Be on the Chopping Block for the Steelers This Offseason? on