As far as the MASH unit that is becoming the Steelers backfield, there is help on the way. After losing rookie Rashard Mendenhall to a fractured shoulder on Monday night, the team today brought back former back Najeh Davenport. The team also will sign another back, and all indications are that will be Gary Russell, who was released last week.
Davenport took over as the teams feature back last season after Willie Parker broke his leg in week 16 vs the Rams. The team was basically not near where it was once Parker went down. After Davenport had a decent game vs the Rams, he was ineffective in the playoff loss to the Jags.
It looks as if Davenport could see some playing time on Sunday in J-Ville, as Parker is going to for sure be out again this week with his sprained knee. The team placed Mendenhall (fractured shoulder) and guard Kendall Simmons (ruptured Achilles) on injured reserve.
The team released Davenport in June, and he wanted to go to either the Lions or Cardinals, but neither team showed much interest in him. Now he’ll get another shot with the Steelers, and could be vaulable as they are going to need help rushing the football till Parker can get back on the field.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Wide Out Diontae Johnson Ready to Be a Star for the Steelers in 2020 on
- What’s the Status of the Steelers Receiving Core as Free Agency Closes In? on
- Steelers News, Updates, & Odds on
- Mike Tomlin Defends Rudolph, Blasts ESPN, Comments on AB on “First Take” on
- GM Kevin Colbert Says “All Signs Are Good” Regarding Ben Roethlisberger’s Injured Elbow on