They’re the teams that Steelers fans have grown to hate over the years. When you see these teams on the schedule, your blood starts to boil just a little bit more, and you start counting the days till those games. Why of course it’s the rivals of the Steelers that we’re talking about, and here we go with the teams top 10 all-time rivals. Today we continue with number 3:
3. Oakland Raiders – These two teams met 15 times over a 15-season span from 1970 to 1984, but have only locked horns eight times in the past 19 seasons since. But boy oh boy, those 15 games from 70 to 84 sure had memories. The Raiders and Steelers littered the field during those glory days with a number of Hall of Fame players on each side, and usually when they played in those older days there was a spot in the Super Bowl or at least advancement in the playoffs on the line.
The matchups always got going well before the games themselves with plenty of back and forth bickering in the papers. Following the 1976 season opener, Steelers head coach Chuck Noll accused the Raiders of harboring a “criminal element,” which of course the Raiders make no bones about. Oakland still to this day has issues with the “Immaculate Reception” of Franco Harris in the 1972 playoff game, saying the play was illegal. No matter, the Steelers actually were just 6-9 from 70 to 84 vs Oakland. In the past nine meetings, they are 5-4, but none of those games have even come close to the legendary battles of yesteryear.
Click HERE for Number 4
Show Your Team Spirit
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Steelers Continues To Overhaul Receiving Corps With Johnny Holton Signing on
- Antonio Brown Thanks Fans in Pittsburgh by Buying Ads on Local Billboards on
- Former Steelers LB Joey Porter the Latest to Call Out Ben Roethlisberger on
- Video: ESPN’s ‘First Take’ Says Brown and Roethlisberger Need to Stop the Drama on
- Will The Playoffs Be Achievable For The Steelers This Season? on