Bob Smizik, the long time writer for the Post-Gazette, has an on-going blog about the situation with Ben Roethlisberger. His views are a bit tainted considering he’s been around forever covering this team, and seems to be a bit detached from today’s athlete, feeling they should all go home at 9pm and drink milk and cookies.
With that said, it comes to no surprise to read his ‘blog’ today, saying the Steelers should RELEASE their franchise QB:
The Steelers need to reclaim their special brand. The best way to do that is to trade Roethlisberger.
The plusses of such a move are these:
* The Steelers get several high draft choices, at least one No. 1, and turn those into multiple high draft choices to help rebuild the team.
* The team gets out from under about $65 million it owes Roethlisberger.
* The Steelers do not draft a quarterback with their high draft choices but make Dennis Dixon the starter and they again become a running team.
* The currently disillusioned Steeler Nation rallies around the team for doing it the right way.
Sure, there are drawbacks.
Without Roethlisberger, the Steelers are a lesser team. That’s beyond dispute. But they won’t be a bad team. The multiple draft choices will help the team come back.
To read the rest of this riot, click HERE
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Steelers Bring the Pain on Mayfield, Browns in 38-7 Win to Move to 5-0 on
- The Day After: Thoughts on the Steelers After Beating the Eagles, Moving on to the Browns on
- Claypool Chases Down History, Steelers Stay Perfect in 38-29 Win Over Eagles on
- Steelers Lower the Boom on Watson and the Texans, Move to 3-0 with 28-21 Win on
- Hodges Returns to the Steelers, Signs on for the Practice Squad on