Here’s some general thoughts and numbers on the first half.
* The Steelers are 3-for-8 in 3rd down conversions, and some of those squarely fall on Dennis Dixon, who missed two passes that he should have made. The second one cost the team a better chance for Jeff Reed to make a field goal, which he then had to try from 55 yards and missed. They have to get better with that number in the 2nd half.
* The run game has put up 56 yards on 18 carries for a 3.1 average, but they have to keep pounding away. Early on it looked like the O-line was able to push around the Falcons smaller D-line a bit, but then they got away from that in the second quarter. Rashard Mendenhall has 41 of the 56 yards, and is running with some power early on.
* Dixon has been tentative at times, and seems to be aiming his passes more than just letting go. The pick he had was awful, and I haven’t seen him really use his legs much, and wonder if he’s pulling a Kordell and trying to prove he doesn’t need to run to be a good QB. Dennis – you have the ability to run in spots – do it.
* Dixon is 10-for-16 for 91 yards with a pick, Matt Ryan is 10-for-16 for 106 yards.
* Love the intensity of the Steelers D in the first half, as the team seems to be feeding off the crowd. I still think the D makes a big play in the second half, and with Troy running around in the secondary, I’ll say ‘Head and Shoulders’ makes a game-changing play.
* Very close game to this point, and I have felt this would be a 3-5 point game, and I am sticking to it. Steelers find a way to pull it out, winning 13-10, just like a year ago.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Wide Out Diontae Johnson Ready to Be a Star for the Steelers in 2020 on
- What’s the Status of the Steelers Receiving Core as Free Agency Closes In? on
- Steelers News, Updates, & Odds on
- Mike Tomlin Defends Rudolph, Blasts ESPN, Comments on AB on “First Take” on
- GM Kevin Colbert Says “All Signs Are Good” Regarding Ben Roethlisberger’s Injured Elbow on