The pressure of again being lambasted by the media and fans must have gotten to Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall, as he is now going back and saying “sorry” for some crazy posts about the recent US killing of Osama Bin Laden.
Mendenhall Wednesday posted a blog entry apologizing for and trying to clarify his tweets regarding Bin Laden’s death.
“I apologize for the timing as such a sensitive matter, but it was not meant to do harm. I apologize to anyone I unintentionally harmed with anything that I said, or any hurtful interpretation that was made and put in my name.”
“What kind of person celebrates death?” Mendenhall wrote on his Twitter. “It’s amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We’ve only heard one side…”
He tried to clarify those comments Wednesday.
“This controversial statement was something I said in response to the amount of joy I saw in the event of a murder. I don’t believe that this is an issue of politics or American pride; but one of religion, morality, and human ethics,” he wrote.
After quoting a bible verse, he wrote: “I wasn’t questioning Bin Laden’s evil acts. I believe that he will have to face God for what he has done. I was reflecting on our own hypocrisy. During 9/11 we watched in horror as parts of the world celebrated death on our soil. Earlier this week, parts of the world watched us in horror celebrating a man’s death.”
He apologized later in the posting and said he was just trying to “generate conversation.”
“I apologize for the timing as such a sensitive matter, but it was not meant to do harm,” he wrote. “I apologize to anyone I unintentionally harmed with anything that I said, or any hurtful interpretation that was made and put in my name.
“It was only meant to encourage anyone reading it to think.”
Rob Lefko of Priority Sports, which represents Mendenhall, confirmed that the running back wrote Wednesday’s blog post.
“This was truly, word for word, Rashard’s thoughts,” Lefko told ESPN.com blogger James Walker. “It was not written by anyone else and not crafted by anyone else.”
Mendenhall on Monday also posted a tweet making a reference to the September 11th attacks.
“We’ll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style,” he tweeted.
Mendenhall has since deleted his 9/11-related tweet. He didn’t address the tweet or its deletion in his blog posting Wednesday.
On Tuesday, Steelers president Art Rooney II released a statement regarding Mendenhall’s tweets.
“I have not spoken with Rashard, so it is hard to explain or even comprehend what he meant with his recent Twitter comments. The entire Steelers organization is very proud of the job our military personnel have done and we can only hope this leads to our troops coming home soon.”
On Wednesday, Mendenhall wrote that he in no way supports bin Laden or is “against the USA.”
“I understand how devastating 9/11 was to this country and to the people whose families were affected. Not just in the US, but families all over the world who had relatives in the World Trade Centers. My heart goes out to the troops who fight for our freedoms everyday, not being certain if they will have the opportunity to return home, and the families who watch their loved ones bravely go off to war.”
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.