The Pittsburgh Steelers’ “Friday Night Lights” practice was the talk to the National Football League last night and early Saturday morning as the Steelers players put on a show that would make any fan wish they’d been scrumming against the Baltimore Ravens as hard as they were against each other. If the level of intensity is any indication, Pittsburgh does not have the word “quit” in their vocabulary in 2014.
The Friday practice is held annually at Latrobe Memorial Stadium and is a highlight attraction. Fans watched the always popular “back on backers” drill only to witness near total dominance by the linebacking corps until rusher Le’Veon Bell, who has been working back into practice after a sore hamstring, went head-t0-head with Vince Williams. In the first play, Bell was able to get the upper hand. Taking exception, Williams used the next play to drive Bell into the turf. When Williams didn’t immediately release – enter teammate LeGarrette Blount in street clothes. Blount dove in to pull Williams off of his fellow running back which caused a team-engulfed scrum that required coach Joey Porter to pull Blount out of the pile and try to reassemble some sort of order while players continued to jaw at each other.
Responses on Twitter by press who were there were immediate:
Huge fight. Bell and Vince Williams. It was ugly. Blount jumps in and porter has to pull him off
Then LeGarrette Blount came in head first w/o pads on to knock Williams off of LeVeon before Joey Porter ripped Blount out of the pile
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Ravens QB Jackson Has Positive Test for Covid-19; Sunday’s Game Against Steelers in Serious Doubt on
- Ravens to Be Minus Two Key RB’s in Thursday’s Game Against Steelers on
- Could a Different Back be the Answer to the Struggling Steelers Run Game? on
- Steelers Lay an Old Fashioned Beat Down on Burrow and the Bengals in 36-10 Win to Move to 9-0 on
- The Debate on if the Steelers Should Sit Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday is Insane on