The Steelers could be interested in former Tennessee Titans quarterback Zach Mettenberger.
Mettenberger was released by the Titans on Monday. While being with the organization since 2014, he completed 60.3 percent of his passes with 12 touchdowns, 14 interceptions and a 75.4 passer rating; quite the struggle.
Get this: Back in 2014 prior to the NFL draft, it was reported that the Steelers had interest in quarterback Zach Mettenberger. This was according to Chris Bradford of the Beaver County Times.
The Steelers know all about Mettenberger, as they played him in his rookie season in a week 11 matchup. He threw 2 touchdowns to 1 interception and went 15-24 with 263 passing yards; quite impressive. Well, the Steelers defense does tend to make backup quarterbacks look like Tom Brady.
For the Titans last season he threw 4 touchdowns, seven interceptions, and 935 yards. He was the backup quarterback to rookie sensation Marcus Mariota.
Pittsburgh could be interested in Mettenberger even after they signed backup Bruce Gradkowski to a recent one-year contract.
He has the experience, big arm, and has played more than Gradkowski has in the last few years. The organization could give him a shot. We will just have to wait and find out.
UPDATE: SIGNED BY THE SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (5/17/16)
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Hodges Returns to the Steelers, Signs on for the Practice Squad on
- Tomlin Says Roethlisberger’s Velocity is “Excellent” Throwing the Football on
- Former Steelers WR Antonio Brown Says He’s Retiring From the NFL – Again on
- Wide Out Diontae Johnson Ready to Be a Star for the Steelers in 2020 on
- What’s the Status of the Steelers Receiving Core as Free Agency Closes In? on