The opener for the Steelers is Sunday night in Denver, and while all eyes will be on Petyon Manning, the Steelers have to make sure to take care of their QB in Ben Roethlisberger, as in overlooking Denver’s D would be a fatal mistake for the Black and Gold.
With all that said, here’s our first official preview for the 2012 season, along with our prediction below of how Sunday night will play out.
1. Don’t Let Peyton Get Comfortable – The lack of a solid pass rush is going to doom the Steelers. I know that the Steelers had a very good pass defense a year ago, but thinking they can win this game without getting to Manning is a mistake, one that could seal their fate. LaMarr Woodley and that defensive front needs to put some hits and pressure on Manning – if they can force him to feel the heat, it could help their chances big time.
2. Make it Rain(ey) – You can’t deny how good and explosive Chris Rainey has looked in the preseason, and the more you see of him, the more you want the Steelers to get him the ball. Rainey could be the X-factor in this game in terms of special teams and the Steelers have to find a way to get him the ball more than just 1-2 times. Look for Rainey to provide a big play if given the shot.
3. Pass Protection – Yeah, we know it all too well, the Steelers offensive line isn’t one of the best in the game, blah, blah, blah. It’s time for this unit to show up and play well against a solid Denver pass rush, and if they can and give Ben some time, he can pick and choose his wideouts downfield. The bottom line is Ben can’t get hit in 2012 like the past seasons. That starts with solid play up front, and those guys need to have a good game.
Prediction – No James Harrison is going to hurt in the pass rush, and the run game needs to find a way to keep the rest of the offense honest, putting up a solid effort to not just allow the Broncos to tee off on Ben. I’ve said all along this game worries me, as primetime Sunday night with Manning’s return has me thinking the Steelers are going to have a tough time in this one, hanging around for awhile, but falling in the end.
Denver 27 Pittsburgh 13
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Ravens QB Jackson Has Positive Test for Covid-19; Sunday’s Game Against Steelers in Serious Doubt on
- Ravens to Be Minus Two Key RB’s in Thursday’s Game Against Steelers on
- Could a Different Back be the Answer to the Struggling Steelers Run Game? on
- Steelers Lay an Old Fashioned Beat Down on Burrow and the Bengals in 36-10 Win to Move to 9-0 on
- The Debate on if the Steelers Should Sit Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday is Insane on