With Casey Hampton officially inked for three seasons, the team made their second move on Thursday, putting the franchise tag on kicker Jeff Reed. GM Kevin Colbert says though they still hope to sign Reed to an extension, too. “Our goal is to lock Jeff up long-term,” said Colbert. “We want to keep Jeff as long as we can.”
Though Reed plays in one of the most notorious stadiums for kickers, he has fashioned a 83.3% accuracy rate on field goals, 10th-best in league history. Reed has had some off the field issues, but there is no doubt the Steelers need him, and it is a good move to make sure that he sticks around.
Reed has said he wants to stay with the Steelers, and he’ll likely be able to come to terms with the club on a deal somewhere near what Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski recently got, which was $16 mil over four seasons.
Show Your Team Spirit
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Steelers Continues To Overhaul Receiving Corps With Johnny Holton Signing on
- Antonio Brown Thanks Fans in Pittsburgh by Buying Ads on Local Billboards on
- Former Steelers LB Joey Porter the Latest to Call Out Ben Roethlisberger on
- Video: ESPN’s ‘First Take’ Says Brown and Roethlisberger Need to Stop the Drama on
- Will The Playoffs Be Achievable For The Steelers This Season? on