The Steelers career for linebacker Lamarr Woodley could very well be over, as today the team placed him on IR with a calf issue.
Taking his place is linebacker Jamaal Westerman, who has played 57 games during his five-year career. He was cut by Buffalo last week.
Woodley, who is 29, will wrap up his 7th season with the Steelers with five sacks, eight hits and 24 hurries in 11 games.
If he wants to stay with the Steelers, there’s no doubt that he’s going to have to take a pay cut. He’s due $8 million as part of a six-year, $61.5 million contract.
The other key for Woodley is that he’s not been able to stay on the field. For the past two plus seasons he’s been hurt a lot, and that will go a long way in the Steelers making their decision.
Woodley signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract in 2011. His cap hit escalates to $13.59 million in 2014. Since he inked that deal, he has just 18 sacks. He had 35 the previous three seasons.
With Jason Worilds and Jarvis Jones ready to take over at the OLB spots full-time, it may be time to cut ties with Woodley.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Wide Out Diontae Johnson Ready to Be a Star for the Steelers in 2020 on
- What’s the Status of the Steelers Receiving Core as Free Agency Closes In? on
- Steelers News, Updates, & Odds on
- Mike Tomlin Defends Rudolph, Blasts ESPN, Comments on AB on “First Take” on
- GM Kevin Colbert Says “All Signs Are Good” Regarding Ben Roethlisberger’s Injured Elbow on