I’m not sure about everyone else, but I’m not expecting to see Rashard Mendenhall to be in a Steelers uniform in 2013.
He will be an unrestricted free agent, and while he will probably come cheap after his 2012, I don’t think the Steelers want to mess with him after his pout late in the season against San Diego.
Mendenhall was suspended for skipping the Week 14 game, and did return vs Cleveland in the finale, but again, the writing is on the wall that he’s as good as gone.
On the year, Mendenhall ran for 182 yards on 51 carries and no touchdowns.
“The season Rashard was not what we would have hope for,” Steelers president Art Rooney II told Steelers Digest writer Bob Labriola. “Obviously, we knew he was coming back from an injury so there were some unknowns there. So, without getting into the real specifics with Rashard, it’s fair to say that we are going to need a better performance out of the running back position if we’re going to be successful.
“Whether it’s Rashard or Jonathan or Isaac (Redman) or somebody else, we have to be better at that position, as well as others, but certainly at that position. In this offseason that’s something we’ve got to look at and decide how we get better and who we get better with.”
Fair statement by Rooney, and with those words, the Mendenhall Era sounds like it’s as good as done in the Steel City.
Show Your Team Spirit
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Steelers Continues To Overhaul Receiving Corps With Johnny Holton Signing on
- Antonio Brown Thanks Fans in Pittsburgh by Buying Ads on Local Billboards on
- Former Steelers LB Joey Porter the Latest to Call Out Ben Roethlisberger on
- Video: ESPN’s ‘First Take’ Says Brown and Roethlisberger Need to Stop the Drama on
- Will The Playoffs Be Achievable For The Steelers This Season? on