SUNDAY STEEL – FEB. 8, 2015
Because the offseason is one of the most grueling time periods for those of us who are already missing professional football, the Steelers Gab team would like to start the week off right by introducing you to a new feature: Sunday Steel. Each Sunday throughout the offseason, we’ll have different guest interviews, post questions that you the fan can answer on our Facebook page, polls, Steelers rumors, Steelers news and trivia and more. We’re just as depressed as you are, scrolling through the channels on television trying to decide if we’re hockey fans or not, wondering if it’s okay if we’re still wearing a Steelers jersey on the weekends. Sunday Steel isn’t about being serious – it’s about us wanting to reach out to you in fun, new and sometimes unexpected ways. So Steelers Gab readers and Steelers fans, be prepared to be given at least a little black and gold to pump up the beginning of your week.
Hypocycloids – The Burning Questions
Tidbit: “Steelmark (the hypocycloid geometric shapes in the Steelers logo) highlighted the attributes of steel, with yellow representing “lightens your work”, the orange denoting “brightens your leisure” and the blue meaning that steel “widens your world”. The definition of the logo components was updated to represent the three materials used to produce steel, with yellow for coal, orange for iron ore and blue for scrap steel.
In this section we reached out to four Steelers insiders/experts to answer top questions submitted by Steelers fans this past week. Our guests were Shawn Bell, Robert E Smith, Jr., Darryl Badham and Matt Vargo.
Question 1: NFL.com currently has Jason Worilds (OLB) ranked at number 12 on the free agent market. Is he ranked too high, too low and should the Steelers stick the franchise tag on him and wait and see if he produces in 2015?
- Robert: “I think it would be a waste of money for a player who has yet to record 10 sacks in a season. I think a reliable free agent and draft pick could solve the problem…I believe he is ranked to high. His production doesn’t match the money he has a chance to make.”
- Shawn: “It seems like a fair assessment of Worilds and his talent. ….last year I dont think he was used in a capacity that showcased his strengths which is coming after the QB…..however I think the transition tag is a a little too much salary. This years free agent class is not very impressive by the way…”
- Darryl: “I feel that his ranking is about right at #12. Would love to keep Worilds but with our salary cap situation and Ben’s (Roethlisberger) negotiations I am just not sure if we can afford to tag him.”
- Matt: “ I think the ranking is good. No way he is tagged. Steelers will try to re-sign him but won’t over pay.”
Question 2: Is Jarvis Jones a bust if he doesn’t improve during the offseason and where do you think he needs to improve?
- Robert: “I think the jury is still out on him. Injuries set him back. I do believe he needs to have a great off season, and get off to a quick start in the regular season. [As for area of improvement]: Agility. That will aide him in developing pass rushing moves.”
- Shawn: “Jarvis Jones is a mystery. …..shows flashes and then disappears in the same game. ….he doesn’t seem like he has embraced the killer instincts of a OLB in the Steelers defense. [He needs to get] stronger at the point of attack and get plain nasty.”
- Darryl: “Yes!!! He lacks the aggression that we need out of our linebackers and if he finest improve then it will be 3 years. Look at CJ Mosely and Shazier. They both stepped right in and performed.”
- Matt: “I’ll wait till after 2015 season to label him. He needs to work on strength. He did show improvement in 2014 before getting hurt.”
To see the rest of the questions and answers go to our forum at GridironChatter.com and sign in for free – CLICK HERE
Meme of the Week
Poll of the Week
Fan Question of the Week
“Will James Harrison go to Tennessee to play under Dick LeBeau?”
Feel free to answer this question in the comments field!
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Wide Out Diontae Johnson Ready to Be a Star for the Steelers in 2020 on
- What’s the Status of the Steelers Receiving Core as Free Agency Closes In? on
- Steelers News, Updates, & Odds on
- Mike Tomlin Defends Rudolph, Blasts ESPN, Comments on AB on “First Take” on
- GM Kevin Colbert Says “All Signs Are Good” Regarding Ben Roethlisberger’s Injured Elbow on