The Pittsburgh Steelers finished trimming their roster to the mandated league limit of 53 players ahead of the 4 p.m. deadline on Saturday after releasing seven players on Friday and trading Brad Wing to the New York Giants. In addition to cuts, the Steelers signed free agent cornerback Ross Cockrell.
The following players were on the list of releases Saturday: Jawon Chisholm (RB), Josh Harris (RB), Matt Conrath (DL), Jordan Dangerfield (S), Alden Darby (S), Gerod Holliman (S), Reese Dismukes (OL), B.J. Finney (OL), Doug Legursky (OL), B.W. Webb (CB), Shayon Green (LB). They join Shakim Phillips (WR), Jarrod West (WR), Howard Jones (OLB), L.J. Fort (LB), Ethan Hemer (DL), Mike Thornton (DL) and Kevin Fogg (CB).
Offensive linemen Mitchell Van Dyk and Kevin Palmer were placed on the Steelers’ waived/injured list.
Cockrell, a 6-0, 190 pound corner who played collegiate ball at Duke, was drafted in the fourth round (109th overall) of the 2014 NFL draft by the Buffalo Bills, but was released last month after playing in seven games his rookie season. The Steelers have assigned him jersey number 31. Cockrell was signed to a one-year contract.
The next deadline for the Steelers is Sunday, September 6, when they are allowed to sign ten players to their practice squad after 1 p.m. ET.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Ravens to Be Minus Two Key RB’s in Thursday’s Game Against Steelers on
- Could a Different Back be the Answer to the Struggling Steelers Run Game? on
- Steelers Lay an Old Fashioned Beat Down on Burrow and the Bengals in 36-10 Win to Move to 9-0 on
- The Debate on if the Steelers Should Sit Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday is Insane on
- Video – Steelers Defense Spooky Highlights: A Nightmare in Pittsburgh on