On a day when the Steelers announced they have inked franchise QB Ben Roethlisberger to a new five-year deal, the team also made their first official free agent signing, bringing in veteran running back DeAngelo Williams.
— DeAngelo Williams (@DeAngeloRB) March 13, 2015
The deal isn’t much of a shock as Williams tweeted last night that he seemed confident he would be able to come to terms to joining the Steelers.
Williams was a mainstay with the Panthers, where he was the 27th pick of the 2006 draft. He has 6,846 career rushing yards and 46 rushing touchdowns. Injuries limited him to six games in 2014.
His best season with the Panthers came in 2008 when he ran for 1515 yards and 18 touchdowns.
He will add depth to a backfield that could be missing star back Le’Veon Bell for the first two games due to suspension.
In his last healthy season, Williams ran for 843 yards and three touchdowns in 15 games in 2013.
Show Your Team Spirit
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- Steelers Continues To Overhaul Receiving Corps With Johnny Holton Signing on
- Antonio Brown Thanks Fans in Pittsburgh by Buying Ads on Local Billboards on
- Former Steelers LB Joey Porter the Latest to Call Out Ben Roethlisberger on
- Video: ESPN’s ‘First Take’ Says Brown and Roethlisberger Need to Stop the Drama on
- Will The Playoffs Be Achievable For The Steelers This Season? on