5. Sunday January 15th 2005 – Pittsburgh Steelers 20 New York Jets 17 (OT)
Coming off a 15-1 regular season, the Steelers were heavy favorites (9 points) to dispatch the wild card Jets and move on to host the AFC Title Game the next week. It wasn’t that easy. New York fell behind 10-0, but quickly took control of the game, and by halftime it was tied. The Jets Reggie Tongue took back a pick 86 yards to take a 17-10 lead in the third quarter, and with Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers were in trouble. They rallied for a Hines Ward TD to tie it up with 9 minutes left, but needed two field goal misses by Jets kicker Doug Brien to save them and push the game to OT. With Jerome Bettis suffering from a hamstring cramp, Deuce Staley led the team on a drive that ended with a Jeff Reed field goal to save the win.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Get Your Steelers Tickets
Steelers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Steelers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Pittsburgh Steelers news.
- What’s the Status of the Steelers Receiving Core as Free Agency Closes In? on
- Steelers News, Updates, & Odds on
- Mike Tomlin Defends Rudolph, Blasts ESPN, Comments on AB on “First Take” on
- GM Kevin Colbert Says “All Signs Are Good” Regarding Ben Roethlisberger’s Injured Elbow on
- Could TE Vance McDonald Be on the Chopping Block for the Steelers This Offseason? on